Greetings and welcome to a new Flute Friday!
The recent shelter-in-place orders and general uncertainty of COVID-19 has dramatically changed all of our lives. Normally around this time of year, flutists far and wide are gearing up for summer masterclasses and music programs. Unfortunately, many of these programs, including the NFA Convention, have been postponed or, in other cases, canceled due to travel restrictions and shelter-in-place directives. Some programs, however, have been moved online. There is a silver lining in our community with the addition of virtual masterclasses as students who may not have otherwise applied to programs due to costly travel and housing costs now have an opportunity to connect virtually with world renowned performers – something that may not have been practical or affordable in previous years. Although there is no true replacement for in-person trainings, virtual trainings do provide a glimmer of hope during a difficult time. Below is a list of masterclasses being held virtually that are still accepting applications for performers and auditors. I encourage those of you looking for summer learning opportunities to check out these programs. Summer can still be a great time to learn a lot from the most prominent flutists in our field through virtual formats.
VIRTUAL MASTERCLASSES AND SUMMER PROGRAMS
- Rocky Ridge Music Center Young Artist Seminar, Estes Park. Advanced flutists ages 18-24. Private lessons, chamber ensembles, orchestra, concerto and chamber music competitions, performance classes, masterclasses, recitals, and panel discussions are offered. June 19-July 15. 6 flute performers. Masterclass teacher Claudia Anderson. firstname.lastname@example.org, www.rockyridge.org
- Dr. Cate’s Flute Camp, Montgomery. Flute students entering 7th-10th grades with at least one year of band experience and/or private lessons. Masterclass teachers Cate Hummel, Leighann Daihl Ragusa, Stefanie Abderhalden.email@example.com, www.fluteline.com
- 2020 Portland (Oregon) Flute Spa Retreat. This Participatory Flute Spa Retreat is for Flutists, Age 18 – Adult (including teachers, flute choir directors and members). Dates: June 26-27, 2020 from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time ZoneFor flutists advanced high school, college and adult. Topics: Crafting the Perfect Practice Session, Melodic Analysis, Note-Grouping and Movement, Ensembles, Etudes and Solo Repertoire, Creative ways to play duets and small ensembles while social distancing. Masterclass Teachers: Patricia George and Phyllis Avidan Louke. https://fabulousflute.com/portland-flute-retreat/
- San Francisco Flute Society VIRTUAL COMPETITION http://www.flutesbythesea.com/flute-competition-2020/ Deadline: June 1, 2020. Prizes up to $2,000.00 USD, Judges: Erika Boysen – University of North Carolina Greensboro, Alice K. Dade – University of Missouri, Philipp Jundt – German School of Music Weimar, Gangnam University, Korea, Neuchatel Conservatory of Music in Switzerland., APPLY NOW: http://www.flutesbythesea.com/flute-competition-2020/
- Ohio State University Virtual Flute Workshop. Monday – Wednesday, June 15 – 17, 2020 • via Zoom with Professor Katherine Borst Jones and guests. For students entering grades 9 – 12 in the 2020 – 2021 school year, and 2020 high school graduates. https://music.osu.edu/outreach/ysmp/flute-workshop
- Webster University “Virtual” Flute Camp. June 1 – 5, 2020, 2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Students entering grades 7-12 in Fall 2020. Deadline: May 20, 2020, or until camp fills. Using the Zoom platform, classes and individual lessons will cover warm-up exercises, tone, intonation and breathing techniques, with performance opportunities throughout the week. http://www.webster.edu/community-music-school/programs/flute-camp.html
Do you know of any other masterclasses that are being offered virtually? Are you teaching at a summer program that will be offered in a virtual format? Please comment below!